LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

December 27, 2014

Merry Christmas!

Today we had our full-on Christmas celebration and had such a good time! Scott has worked for the past 19 days, so it was actually a little strange having him home all day long. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely a good strange having him here.

The super awesome part about celebrating Christmas on the 27th is that you really get to celebrate for four days straight. On Christmas Eve, Cannon and I joined a few other resident spouses for a potluck lunch at the hospital. Scott wasn't able to join us, but a few of the residents were able to come see their families! The rest of the day we spent at home playing with toys and eating treats until Scott came home around 6:30. I made beef stew for dinner (a favorite of ours, and a Christmas Eve tradition at my cousin's house) and Cannon got to open a few presents that I chose for him: Christmas pajamas and a new book! He liked the pjs until he opened the book, then didn't care for them. The book is "My First Book Of Mormon Stories" and we read the two pages about Samuel the Lamanite prophesying the birth of Christ, and Christ's birth. We figured that was a pretty good way to read the Christmas story to a two-year-old.


On Christmas Day, Scott went to work nice and early as usual while Cannon and I slept in a little and played some more. I have had a cold for a few weeks, and it seems that Cannon just caught it from me. He mostly just seemed run down, and was quite ready for a nap at noon. After we both had naps we headed to a new friend's house for Christmas dinner! I have met some great people through Iowa Medical Partners, and these folks are no exception. They invited anyone and everyone who didn't have a place to go on Christmas to come to their house. We joined a handful of other families there (some were residents) and had such a good time! Cannon got to play with all the other kids and I got to make some new friends. The host is a urologist so we had a good long chat about residency and Cannon's surgery. Scott was done at the hospital earlier than expected, so after having a fabulous dinner, the hosts packed a tupperware of dinner for Scott and we went to pick him up. We let Cannon have another go at opening presents, and he chose his own for the first gift. After opening a pair of Elf on the Shelf pjs from Scott's parents, I strategically chose a second gift for him that contained some plastic safari animals. He was thrilled! He played with them nonstop until bedtime, then insisted on taking them to bed. I obliged.


The 26th was another low-key day for us, especially because Cannon hadn't slept well and was very tired. The night before, I had stayed up rocking Cannon since he had a low fever and was pretty congested. He was a little cranky, but happy to play with his new animals. I only had to tell him once that we weren't opening more presents until dada came home. I wanted to avoid the store, but we needed a thing or two. Cannon seemed eager to leave the house, although he was still unhappy from being tired and sick. Surprisingly enough, the store wasn't too busy and we got our things easily enough. We got to facetime with my grandma and my family the day before, and this afternoon we got to skype with the rest of my family. Cannon and I made cookies for Santa and after Scott came home we went for the presents once again. I didn't hold back this time and let Cannon choose something I knew he would love - a fire truck from my parents. Saying he loved it might be an understatement, and he got to take it to bed. He was up for an extra hour playing with it in bed - we could hear the sirens go off every few minutes.


This morning was Christmas time! Cannon woke up early, still a little cranky and wanted to open presents right away. In all fairness, he had been very patient all week only opening two at a time so I let him open his gift from Marcus (a new truck!) to hold him over until Scott woke up. He kept asking for dada and knocking on the bedroom door, so we finally went in and got Scott. Cannon was quite happy to have free reign of the gifts, although he definitely took time playing with each new toy before moving on to the next present. He seemed to like pulling lots of things out of his stocking as well. Scott and I had a fun time going through our stockings and opening gifts that we got from friends and family. I must mention that we both received Hawkeye hoodies and I couldn't be more thrilled! Little baby even got a blanket from grandma and grandpa. After opening our gifts I made cinnamon rolls and bacon for breakfast, all of which was devoured quickly by the three of us. We spent the rest of the day playing with new toys and watching Curious George. For dinner I made bacon wrapped steaks, mashed potatoes with gravy, and rolls. It was so nice and SO tasty! Once again, Cannon insisted on taking his favorite toys to bed, but we had to veto some choices (much to his dismay).

Really though, today could not have been more fabulous. It was fun, relaxing, and delicious. If anything it was great to just spend the day all together (which we get to do again tomorrow!) Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment