LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

September 29, 2013

Our Iowa Experience

Once upon a time (August 2010) Scott and I moved to Des Moines, Iowa. Scott had only been there once before for his interview, and I had never been. We didn't know anyone and had found a place to live via craigslist. Click here for a post on why we went to Iowa.
The first few months were tough, being in a new place with a new job and new people. Work was hard for me because I had to "start back at the bottom" as a regular agent after managing another call center over the previous summer. As time went on we settled in to our new lives and learned to find our way around the area. It became home.

Winters were insanely cold with real blizzards and I developed a greater appreciation for Mormon Pioneers who had lived through the same conditions at Winter Quarters. Summers were hot and humid. For the most part I loved it, but there were a few times that we felt like dying because of the heat.

Although we don't plan to move back to Iowa (unless Scott matches into a residency program there) or live there long term, Des Moines will always hold a special place in my heart. It's where Scott and I really lived on our own for the first time and where our son was born. We probably won't make a point to visit, but if an opportunity arises then I would be happy to head back for a few days and see some friends.

In the three years that we lived in Iowa we had lots of experiences with school, work, church, neighbors, friends, etc. Here are links to a few highlights:

2 comments: