When we first moved to the Midwest we said something like "we will be living so close to so many things, we have to go while we're there!" although those plans quickly faded as we grew more and more comfortable with staying home on our couch.
Now that time is running short, I have created a bucket list of things to do and places to go before we move. I know that we won't be able to do it all, especially because Scott has so much on his plate right now. If he isn't on rotation, he is studying for boards or planning rotations for next year. I think things will ease up once he has taken his boards, but he has a few different exams and test dates so by the time he is done we won't have much time left! Here is the list (the big things anyway). Tell me if there is something you think I missed!
Updates (as of 8/13 are italicized)
- Iowa State Fair - apparently this is one of the top one hundred things to do in the United States. This will be our third "State Fair Season" in Iowa and we have yet to see what the hype is about. I am looking forward to seeing the famous Butter Cow and trying some deep fried oreos. We have plans to go this weekend!
- Iowa Cubs Game - We have been to one game this season, but I would love to go to one or two more! They have dollar days with cheap tickets and cheap hot dogs. What is it about eating a hot dog at the ballpark? I don't know, but they are delicious. So this one kind of got nixed since we just weren't feeling it the other night. We still have a few more chances, but we have the Orem Owlz in our sights. They will still be playing the first few weeks that we are in Utah, and we have passes!
- Incredible Pizza Company - we have some cash cards to use at this place. They have food and arcade games. I see a date night in our future! So this got changed a little too, due to some issues with the groupon that we had. Instead of this, we went mini-golfing and to the driving range with the Stettler's. So fun!
- Drake Cake Shake - I don't know exactly what this is, but Leslie said it is a MUST. So it's on the list. Okay. This was basically the best shake of my life. Leslie and I went to the Drake Diner where they serve these shakes. They take a real piece of cake and mix it in with the ice cream. YUM.
- Berry Patch Farm - we have been to this place before to go berry picking, it's in Nevada, Iowa (pronounced Na-vey-da). They have all kinds of berries throughout the summer and they are delicious! I really want to go back, and soon! This had to be nixed from our list as well since we ran out of days where Scott and I were both off of work.
- Omaha, Nebraska Zoo - we have heard that this is one of the best zoos in the country, so we definitely need to go! Check! We had a great trip to the zoo over the weekend. More on this soon!
Let the fun begin!