LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

October 16, 2011

Scottie's First Marathon!

That's right, folks! Scott ran his first marathon today. I'm so proud! His awesome cousin Jeff came for the weekend to run as well (this was number nine for Jeff. Nine!) and it was great! This is kind of long, but there are pictures and a video at the bottom. The video is (in my opinion) a pretty awesome one of Scott and Jeff running the last 0.2 miles.

After Jeff arrived on Friday night we drove most of the course (in the dark) so the boys could get a little feel for the inclines and such. Saturday we went to the Runner's Expo to pick up shirts and bibs and things, then went to Costco for some food. Fun side note, we bought toilet paper for the first time since getting married nearly four years ago (wow, that is coming up quick). I hope you don't misunderstand - we have used toilet paper, we just haven't been to ones to buy it. Usually it comes complimentary when the parents visit. :) Anyway, the rest of the day was spent carbo loading (kind of funny to watch) and football watching for the guys. I did some laundry and light cleaning, then did some computer stuff (cleaning up my email, playing games, pinning things on Pinterest, etc).

This morning we got up to head downtown for the marathon (it was the IMT Des Moines Marathon and the whole course was really close to home). I dropped the guys a block from the start and found a great parking spot so I could get back to the starting line to see them off. I didn't actually find them among the thousands of people around, so I filmed the entire start of the marathon (hoping to go back later and find them in the video) then jogged a few blocks to where the course wraps around at the first mile. I saw the Kenyan runners fly by (they are AMAZING) then caught a photo of Scott and Jeff as they ran by. I hustled back to the car and drove to two other checkpoints, but they were faster than me...a little embarrassing for me? Yeah.

After realizing I missed them, I decided not to do that again. I quickly made my way to my next planned viewing spot and saw the Kenyans run by (twice, since the course looped back down the other side of the street) then hung around until I could cheer for our guys. Then I raced them to the Drake Stadium. This time I won and got there a few minutes before they entered the track to make a loop. I saw them again just outside the stadium, and again back on the loop around street as well. Basically I stalked them for a few miles of the course.

For the second half I had a series of places planned out to spectate, but I didn't want to risk missing them somewhere and getting behind, so I went to wait at the last mile. For the marathon you could sign up to get text messages for when your runner crosses certain checkpoints. I was getting texts for both Jeff and Scott, so I kind of had an idea where they were.

The guys split up around mile 17 I think, so I was watching carefully for Jeff. He stopped to chat for a moment then took off to the finish line. I tried to shortcut and beat him there to take a photo but I was about 30 seconds behind him. Embarrassing moment #2 for me. Jeff had already run 26 miles and I couldn't keep up, even on a shortcut. Shooooot. I walked back to wait for Scott so I could run the last bit with him to the finish line. After a little while Jeff joined me. He had gotten water and snacks then walked back to meet Scott. Once Scott arrived, the three of us ran the last third of a mile together (way to go Jeff for going the "extra mile" to help Scott) then we broke off to the side and let Scott cross the finish.

As soon as Scott turned in his timing chip and got his medal he hobbled over to us and said, "Ok where's the car? I want a giant pizza and some Mountain Dew." Oh Scottie. :) I drove the guys home for their much deserved food fest. Now they're enjoying football and I'm looking through photos of the day. I didn't even run the marathon and I am beat. I can only imagine how they feel.

Mile one!
Mile something. Still happy!
Mile 12 ish on the Drake track. Still happy!
Still mile 12 ish outside the Drake Track.
Shortly after Scott crossed the finish line. He doesn't look happy, but he was.

Great job guys!!!

1 comment: