LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

August 14, 2011

Berry Picking

Last Saturday we went to a berry farm with our friends Brad and Erica. I loved it! For the first time in a long time we got up early (early for a Saturday) and drove to Nevada, Iowa (I didn't even know that place existed!) to pick our own berries. It was a nice place, and the morning weather was perfect. As we got closer to leaving it started getting hot and humid. When we arrived, the employees had a map showing us where to go and buckets for us to put our berries in. As it turns out they have a lot of different things to pick! The first thing we picked was blueberries. Fresh blueberries? Delicious! I didn't actually like blueberries until I ate a handful of wild ones while I was in Alaska (another trip to blog about) and now I LOVE them.

After blueberries we ventured to find some red currants. I had never heard of them before so it was neat to see (and taste) them. We found our way to the raspberries but didn't have much luck so we finished the day picking blackberries. Yum! They said the raspberries will be more ripe in the coming weeks, and in the fall they will have apples and pumpkins! We are definitely going back. Aside from the berries, it was a nice morning with our friends and with each other. It was really nice of them to bring us along and pack some snacks. I had a pb&j sandwich that was amazingly good - I can't remember the last time I had a sandwich. Brad and Scott are in the same class at school and I think the four of us get along well. We definitely look forward to more time spent with them.

And now some pictures! Most of them are courtesy of Erica.
Erica picking blueberries.
Me picking blueberries.
Side note. See my awesome sunglasses? My brand new Oakley's!
Brad and Scott "picking" blueberries. Erica put it well - the boys were good sports.
We were pleased that they just walked around and carried their buckets. :)
Scottie and I.
Scottie and I. :)
Scott being a hero. A lot of the blackberries were hidden deep in the bushes.
Scott dove in to pick those yummy ones for me. :)
Our pickin' from the day.

1 comment:

  1. I made frozen blackberry jam for the first time a couple years ago. It is SO easy and SO delicious.

    ReplyDelete