LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

May 6, 2011

Wrong Way On A One-Way Track

Yeah. I'm not super used to one-way streets, but downtown Des Moines is full of them. Since I work downtown, I am one who frequents the one-way system. Basically it's awesome, although it can prove tricky if you aren't familiar with the streets (and even sometimes when you are familiar with the streets).

I'm always a little worried that if I take a detour I'll wind up driving the wrong way on a one-way. Today, it happened. Okay it didn't happen to me, but I watched someone else do it. I was driving home from work when lo and behold, a car turned in front of me...facing me. He was a lane over, and realized his mistake quickly. Lucky for him, there was a parked car for him to hide behind while waiting for traffic to pass. When it was all clear I watched in my rear-view mirror as he completed a u-turn and went on his way. Phew.

Anyway, another work week over and another weekend starting. Here's an update on the past few weeks:

  • I put in a few hours of volunteer time between YESS (Youth Emergency Services & Shelter) and the Trash Bash. I enjoyed it all.
  • After said Trash Bash participation, I went to a bar/restaurant with some people from work. I won't lie, it was kind of exciting.
  • Details aside, I was called as a witness for some kind of court proceeding. It was uncomfortable, but I feel it was a valuable experience.
  • I got a promotion! I am now a Customer Service Representative 2 (note the "2"). Basically I get paid a little more for doing the same thing I was doing before. No arguments there!
  • I decided to give mascara a try again, although eyeliner will continue to be my favorite.
  • I was released from my calling as substitute seminary teacher. I held the calling for a grand total of 10 weeks and taught a grand total of one lesson. Not the biggest accomplishment on my part.
  • I got time off to head home for the a few days this summer! Just waiting on details from Scott's research job, then we can make travel arrangements. Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. yeah you got the time off! Hope Scott gets some off too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Rachel,
    I am starting my blog catch up again, this will be the first of many comments on your recent and not so recent blog posts. I am determined to keep up with it this time! Now, I know this post was quite a while ago, but I just want to mention how much I love it. Everything about it is funny, as well as clever! Well done Rachel, well done!
    love,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete